Here's the photo as it appeared in the newsletter.
Actually the pond, as it was called, was in an area known as Collendale, which after WWII was full of temporary buildings designed as housing and classroom space for the returning veterans who studied at Syracuse University under the GI Bill. Here's a map from 1949.
And an aerial from 1953 showing the pond at the right side of the image, just west of the five angled buildings.
The pond is still visible in this 1960 color map
But by 1962 when this map was drawn, it had been drained and had become a parking area for the new Manley Field House.
Here is an aerial showing the location today.
Click to view past Mystery Photos.