Syracuse University Buildings:


Bastable Block

Bastable Block
Bastable Block

Leased: September 1895 to September 1898
Style: Second Renaissance Revival - Commercial
Architect for 1893 reconstruction: Archimedes Russell
Location: Corner of South Warren and East Genesee Streets
Destroyed by fire: February 12, 1923

Notes:

Rebuilt in 1893 after fire almost destroyed the entire structure, the renovated Bastable Block was known for the elegant Bastable Theatre. The Shubert brothers, famed Broadway theatre owners, started their careers at the Bastable Theatre. The Syracuse University College of Law held its first classes in rented rooms on the top floor of the building. In 1898 the law college moved to the newly-constructed University Block.