Syracuse University Buildings:

Bauhaus / Sculpture Studio

Bauhaus / Sculpture Studio
Bauhaus / Sculpture Studio, Image 07-0082

Constructed: Prior to 1929
Purchased by SU: ca. 1946
Cost: $17,203
Location: 202 Marshall Street
Material: wood frame
Renovated: 1946
Demolished: 1981


The former carriage house barn was converted to a sculpture studio for noted sculptor Ivan Mestrovic during his time teaching at the university, 1947-1955. The name "Bauhaus" was given to it by Mestrovic's students. It was demolished, along with several other buildings, in 1981 to make way for University Inn and Conference Center that later became University Sheraton.