Bowne Hall, SU Photo & Imaging RS 59400
|Approved by Trustees:||January 1906|
|Contracts Awarded:||May 1906|
|Construction Began:||Fall 1906|
|Opened for Classes:||Fall 1907|
|Architect:||Professor Frederick W. Revels, Class of 1895|
|Contractors:||Dawson Brothers, Syracuse|
|Materials:||Pressed Brick and terra cotta exterior; reinforced concrete interior|
|Space:||70,000 square feet|
|Named for:||Samuel W. Bowne, Trustee 1893-1911, who contributed $100,000 for construction|
|Cost of 1989-90 Renovation:||$2,590,000|
|Cost of 2010 Renovation:||$14,750,000|
A chemistry building had been needed for years since the Department of Chemistry outgrew its cramped quarters in the basement of the Hall of Languages. According to newspaper accounts of the time, constructing Bowne required considerable stripping of the foot of Mt. Olympus, which accounts for the shape of the building.
The building has undergone numerous renovations. In 1989, classrooms, labs and offices were renovated and asbestos removed. In 2010, Bowne became the new home of the Syracuse Biomaterials Institute. The space, which covers part of the third floor and the entire fourth floor, was revamped using a variety of sustainable techniques and materials. Seventy-five per cent of the demolition debris was recycled and steel framing was made from recycled scrap iron. Original architectural details such as exposed decorative steel trusses and original windows were preserved.