Syracuse University Buildings:


Women's Cottages

Cottage Row
Cottage Row, ARM 11-0552

From the earliest days of Syracuse University through the 1970s, a system of smaller houses was used to accommodate many students. Typically, women lived in "cottages" and men lived in "houses."

Annable: 309 University Place; purchased 1915; razed in 1951 for Lowe Art Center; named for Josephine Annable who donated property at 408 Walnut Place
Anthony: 759 Comstock Avenue; named for Susan B. Anthony
Babcock: 426 Walnut Place; named for Maltbie D. Babcock, Class of 1879; purchased 1915
Baker: 424 Walnut Place; named for Hugh P. Baker, Dean of Forestry College, 1912-1920
Barclay: 829/833 University Avenue
Barton: 107 Waverly Avenue
Beach: 115 College Place; named for Hon. Allen C. Beach, Board of Trustees member, 1870-1872
Beebe: 119 Euclid Avenue; named for Minnie Mason Beebe, Class of 1890, History faculty 1900-1937, died in 1956; purchased in 1938 for $8,958;
Berwald: 109 College Place; named for Eugenia Baker Berwald, music faculty 1899-1901 and William H. Berwald, music faculty 1892-1943; purchased 1943
Biklé: 107 University Place; named for Gladys Rose Biklé, English faculty and class of 1920, 1892-1943, died 1948
Blackwell: 909 Walnut Avenue; named for Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D., Geneva College, Class of 1849; purchased in 1943
Blodgett: 508 University Place
Breecher: 508 Comstock; currently site of Kimmel Dining Center
Brewster: 119 College Place; named for Belle Louise Brewster, Music faculty 1908-1933, died 1933; purchased in 1943; opened in 1945; renovated in 1957
Brooks: 808 University Avenue
Burdette: 822 Irving Avenue; named for Clara Bradley Burdette, Class of 1876, in 1954 was oldest living graduate of SU
Butler: 801 University Avenue; named for Harold Butler, Dean of College of Fine Arts
Campbell: 312 Waverly Avenue; named for Alan D. Campbell, faculty 1927-1942; purchased in 1943
Carman: 121 College Place; named for Harry James Carman, faculty 1913-1919; purchased in 1943
Chamberlain: 406 University Place
Charles: 400 Walnut Place; named for Charles Lee Raper, Dean of Business Administration, 1921-1944
Clarendon: 506 University Place; probably named for the city street; purchased in 1943
Clark (sometimes spelled Clarke): 428 Walnut Place; purchased 1915; razed in 1951 for Lowe Art Center; named for J. Scott Clark, English Criticism and Elocution faculty, 1882-1892
Comstock: 760 Comstock; named for George F. Comstock, Court of Appeals judge, owner of farm on which SU was built, and a charter member of the Board of Trustees
Corneille: 935 South Crouse Avenue; possible names for French playwright Pierre Corneille; demolished summer 1974
Crouse II: 823 South Crouse Avenue; named for John Crouse, donor of Crouse College, and his son, a benefactor of SU; housed nursing students
Crouse III: 829 South Crouse Avenue; named for John Crouse, donor of Crouse College, and his son, a benefactor of SU; housed nursing students
Decker: 907 South Crouse Avenue; opened in 1936; named for David Decker, president of Board of Trustees, 1870-1890 and an original member of corporation establishing SU
Denison (sometimes incorrectly spelled as Dennison): 1107 East Adams Street; named for Howard P. Denison, Law College faculty, 1902-1907
Eaton: 805 Walnut Avenue; named for Bruce A. Eaton, English faculty, 1903-1944
Erie: 206 Walnut Place
Fairfield: 108 Waverly Avenue; named for Fairfield Seminary and Medical School of Herkimer County, a forerunner of Syracuse University Medical School
Flick: 516 Ostrom Avenue; named for Alexander C. Flick, History faculty, 1896-1923
French: 408 Walnut Place; named for John R. French, faculty 1865-1897, Dean of Liberal Arts, 1878-1897
Frey (also known as Independents'): 901 South Crouse Avenue; independent living house named for Adolph Frey, Music faculty, 1893-1928
Genesee: 914 South Crouse Avenue; named for Genesee College; one of four cooperative houses which enabled women to attend SU at a lower cost; purchased in 1943
Geneva: 903 University Avenue; one of four cooperative houses which enabled women to attend SU at a lower cost
Griffin: 812 University Avenue; named for John P. Griffin, Registrar, 1871-1875
Haft: 207 University Place; named for Henry H. Haft, Medical School faculty
Harrison: 100 Walnut Place; named for the city street
Heffron: 416 Walnut Place; named for John L. Heffron, faculty and Dean of the Medical College, 1883-1924, and alumni trustee, 1895-1901
Hickernell: 611 East Genesee Street; named for Louis M. Hickernell, faculty member
Holden: 310 Waverly Avenue; named for Erastus F. Holden, first Vice President of Board of Trustees, 1878-1900, and donor of Holden Observatory; purchased in 1943
Holzwarth: 301 Waverly Avenue; named for Franklin James Holzwarth, German faculty, 1895-1942
Hoople: 204 Waverly Avenue; named for Gordon D. Hoople, Class of 1915 in medicine, chairman of Board of Trustees, 1967-1971
Hungerford: 833 South Crouse Avenue; opened in 1936; named for Edward Hungerford, Class of 1899, journalist, author, publisher, and authority on history of railroads in United States
Hurst: 709 University Avenue, later located at 932 South Crouse Avenue; originally opened in 1936; named for Bishop John F. Hurst, member of Board of Trustees, 1886-1888 and Bishop of Methodist Episcopal Church of Washington, D.C.
Hyde: 844 South Crouse Avenue; named for Frederick Hyde, Dean and faculty of Medical College faculty, 1872-1887
Independents': see Frey
Irving: 783 Irving Avenue
Jewell: 117 College Place; named for Ross Jewell, faculty member and Registrar, 1908-1925; purchased in 1943
Kent: 112 Waverly Avenue
Lima: 926 South Crouse Avenue
Lowry: 503 Van Buren
Lowther: 110 Walnut Place; named for Edgar A. Lowther, Class of 1920 and 1942 Doctor of Divinity Honorary Degree; also used as men's housing as Charles Poletti House
Lund: 911 South Crouse Avenue; named for Unni Lund, professor of Vocal Music, 1893-1901
Lyon: 203 Waverly Avenue
Mace: 209 University Place; named for William Mace, faculty member, 1891-1895, emeritus, 1916-1938
Marshall: 204 Marshall Street; named for Louis Marshall, President of College of Forestry Board of Trustees, 1909-1919
Maurice: 304 Waverly Avenue; purchased in 1943
McCarthy: 905 Walnut Avenue; opened as women's cottage in 1936
McChesney: 200 Walnut Place; named for Rev. Ensign McChesney, Dean of College of Fine Arts, 1898-1905; also housed Kappa Phi Delta Fraternity
Metzler: 833 South Crouse Avenue; named for William B. Metzler, Liberal Arts faculty, 1922-1923; also used for men's housing as Levi Morton House
Mills: 763 Comstock Avenue
Morris: 108 Walnut Place; named for Edgar Colt Morris, English faculty, 1984-1916; also used for men's housing as Nathan Miller House
Morton: 303 Waverly Avenue
Mott: 906 South Crouse Avenue; named for Lucretia Mott, abolitionist and women's rights advocate; purchased in 1943
Nottingham: 905 University Avenue; named for Eloise Nottingham, member of Board of Trustees, 1909-1939; one of four cooperative houses which enabled women to attend SU at a lower cost
Ostrom: 507 University Place; named for Ostrom Avenue; razed for DellPlain Hall
Parker: 211 University Place; named for George A. Parker, Music faculty, 1882-1938; first house built on University Place; constructed prior to 1886
Parsons: 106 Walnut Place; later may have been men's residence and renamed Charles Whitman House; named for Editha A. Parsons, Speech Department faculty, 1899-1949, who died in 1964
Patterson: 110 Waverly Avenue; named for Arthur Sayles Patterson, Roman Languages faculty, 1899-1941; purchased in 1943
Peck I: 1017 Harrison Street; named for Jesse Peck, Bishop of Methodist Episcopal Church in Syracuse and Board of Trustees member, 1875-1883; one of four cooperative houses which enabled women to attend SU at a lower cost
Peck II: 114 Waverly Avenue; named for Jesse Peck, Bishop of Methodist Episcopal Church in Syracuse, Board of Trustees, 1875-1883; purchased in 1943
Phillips: 1001 Walnut Avenue; named for Henry Phillips, member of Board of Trustees
Powers: 777 Irving Avenue; named for William Henry Powers, Dean of Hendricks Chapel, 1929-1944
Reid: 201 University Place; named for John Morrison Reid, President of Genesee College and SU Board of Trustees member, 1888-1896; purchased in 1943; demolished 1974
Richards: 900 University Avenue; named for Jean Marie Richards, Dean of Women, 1909-1924; died 1953
Rogers: 1101 East Adams Street; housed veterans
Root: 916 South Crouse Avenue; named for Francis H. Root, who represented Genesee Conference of the Methodist Church on SU Board of Trustees, 1870-1893
Sargent: 105 University Place; named for Irene Sargent, Fine Arts faculty, 1895-1932
Schultze: 906 University Place; named for Wilhelm Schultze, Music faculty, 1877-1888
Scott: 841 South Crouse Avenue; named for Jeanette Scott, Fine Arts faculty; demolished summer 1974
Sibley: 101 University Place; named for Henry Orin Sibley, SU Librarian, 1889-1904
Smalley: 420 Walnut Place; named for Frank Smalley, faculty member, 1874-1917, Dean of Liberal Arts, 1900-1917, Acting Chancellor, summer 1903, 1908-1909, Vice Chancellor Emeritus, 1917-1931
Sperry: 100 Waverly Avenue; named for Earl E. Sperry, faculty member, 1902-1907
Spring: 308 Waverly Avenue
Stanton: 748 Comstock Avenue; named for Elizabeth Cady Stanton, abolitionist and proponent of women's rights
Stiles: 115 College Place; named for Henry William Stiles, Class of 1910, professor of Anatomy and director of Anatomical Laboratory
Ten Eyck: 102 Waverly Avenue; named for James A. Ten Eyck, crew coach
Thornden: 503 University Place; purchased in 1943; razed for Dell Plain Hall
University I: 811 University Avenue; purchased in 1944 for $10,077; current site of Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center
University II: 806 University Avenue
University III: 804 University Avenue
Vernon: 207 University Place; originally Alpha Phi sorority house
Walker: 424 Walnut Place; named for E.C. Walker, Alumni Trustee, 1872-1874
Waverly: 314 Waverly Avenue
Whitman: 403 Comstock Avenue
Wilbur: 307 University Place; razed in 1951 for Lowe Art Center
Wiles: 202 Waverly Avenue
Willard: 755 Comstock Avenue; purchased in 1943
Wilson: 917 South Crouse Avenue; demolished summer 1974
Winchell Hall: 301 University Place; named for Alexander Winchell, Chancellor 1873-1874
Woodworth: 309 Waverly Avenue
Woolley: 107 College Place; named for Harry J. Woolley; purchased 1943