Syracuse University Buildings:


Hendricks Chapel

Hendricks Chapel
Hendricks Chapel, SU Photo & Imaging RS 8661

Contract Awarded: November 1928
Cornerstone Laid: June 9, 1929
Dedicated: June 8, 1930
First Student Services Held: September 21, 1930
Organ Dedication: October 5 & 8, 1930
New Organ Dedication: 1952
Style: Georgian Colonial
Architects: James Russell Pope and Dwight James Baum, Class of 1909, New York, NY
Contractor: A.E. Stephens Company, Springfield, MA
Materials: Georgia limestone and brick
Named For: Eliza Jane Hendricks
Cost: $600,000
Funding: $500,000 bequest from Francis Hendricks
1969 Renovation: $90,000
1985 Rededication: $1.2 million 5-year renovation of interior and exterior

Notes:

Francis Hendricks was a state senator, SU trustee from 1895 until his death in 1920, and Forestry College trustee from 1913 to 1920. His donation called for a chapel honoring his late wife Eliza Jane that would serve all faiths. He also stipulated the name "Hendricks Chapel" in his will. Seating 1,450 Hendricks was the third largest University chapel in the country at the time of its construction. The pulpit was the gift of the Class of 1918. The original Aeolian organ, the gift of Kathryn Hendricks, niece of Francis Hendricks, was replaced in 1952 with a new organ built by Walter Holtkamp.