Lyman Hall, SU Photo & Imaging RS 8492
|Buildings Plans Announced:||January 18, 1905|
|Construction Began:||Summer 1905|
|Funding:||$200,000 bequest from John Lyman in memory of his daughters|
|Named for:||Mary and Jessie Lyman, deceased daughters of John Lyman, Board of Trustees from 1893 to January 1904|
|Materials:||Marble base; brick and Indiana limestone|
|Architects:||Professors Frederick W. Revels and Earl Hallenbeck|
|Partial Renovation:||1963 - 8 graduate labs, offices and a seminar room|
|Funding:||$46,825 National Science Foundation grant|
|Partial Renovation:||2009 - first and second floors remodeled to create Technology Center|
|Funding:||JP Morgan Chase|
Originally occupied by the Departments of Biology, Botany, Geology, Zoology, Psychology and Geography, in 1930 the fourth floor was remodeled and made into the Natural History Museum bringing together the various museum collections previously distributed throughout the building. On January 11, 1937 a loud explosion was heard from the lab of Dr. Ernest Reed and shortly thereafter a fire was reported on the fourth floor of the building. The fire destroyed the top floor and the roof of the building as well as many of the valuable museum collections and research materials of a number of professors and graduate students. Possibly caused by an unattended gas burner igniting lab equipment and the resulting fire reaching stored photographic film and gun powder, fire damage was estimated at $79,000. By the start of February, the building was once again open for classes; it was completely restored by September of 1937.
In 2009, two floors were remodeled to house the JP Morgan Chase Technology Center, an on-campus facility where students and faculty partner with bank employees to conduct research and run global technology operations.