Syracuse University Buildings:


Reid Hall

Reid Hall
Reid Hall, Image 10-1517

Site purchased by SU: March 1912
Cornerstone Laid: December 12, 1912
Building Occupied by Syracuse Free Dispensary: March 30, 1914
Materials: Brick and limestone
Location: 610 East Fayette Street
Space: 30,000 square feet
Rededicated as Reid Hall: March 30, 1958
Named for: John Morrison Reid, SU trustee and former president of Genesee College; benefactor responsible for bringing Van Ranke Library to SU
Sold to Central New York Charter School: 2002

Notes:

In 1912 SU purchased the properties at 610 - 614 E. Fayette, tearing down the existing brick buildings, with the intention of erecting a Free Dispensary associated with the College of Medicine. A citywide labor strike in 1913 delayed construction, but the Dispensary opened in 1914. Although SU turned over the College of Medicine to the State of New York in 1950, the Free Dispensary continued to operate in this location until notified by the University in 1954 that it must vacate as SU now had another use for the building. In June 1957, SU reclaimed use of the building and renovated it for University College. The building was put up for sale in October 1996.