Syracuse University Buildings:


Schine Student Center

Schine Student Center
Schine Student Center, ARM Image 09-0657

Cornerstone Laid: May 19, 1984
Dedicated: October 18, 1985
Named for: Hildegarde and J. Myer Schine, parents of Reneé Schine Crown, and founders of Schine Theaters
Architects: Edward Larrabee Barnes Associates, New York City.
Construction Manager: JD Taylor Construction, Syracuse
Location: 303 University Avenue
Materials: Brick and red sandstone.
Cost: $15 million
Funding: $3,000,000 donation from Renee Schine Crown, Class of 1950, who was also a member of Board of Trustees
Space: 192,410 square feet

Notes:

Designed with three levels and four wings radiating from a central atrium, the concept of the building was described as a "reflection of the diverse intellectual, cultural, and social interests of the Syracuse University community. It will provide the space for students to gather, along with faculty and staff, in an atmosphere conducive to social, leisure, and educational purposes." The atrium was topped by a pyramid-shaped glass roof. Schine Student Center housed offices of many student organizations, small and medium meeting spaces, a bookstore, a dining center, lounges, a box office, and offices of Student Centers and Programming Services.