Syracuse University Buildings:


Dorothea Ilgen Shaffer Art Building

Shaffer Art Building
Shaffer Art Building, SU Photo & Imaging RS 8835

At Board of Trustees Meeting Dorothea Ilgen Shaffer Pledges Money for Construction of New Art Building: May 1986
Plans Announced: November 6, 1987
Construction Started: Spring 1989
Private Dedication: October 20, 1990
Public Dedication: October 21, 1990
Architect: Koetter, Kim and Associates
Location: Southeast corner of Quad adjacent to Sims Hall
Space: 95,000 square feet.
Cost: $11 million
Funding: $3.25 million from Dorothea Ilgen and Maurice Shaffer; $500,000 grant, Fred L. Emerson Foundation of Auburn, NY; Rhoda and Emanuel Shemin, naming gift for auditorium; and Campaign for Syracuse
Named for: Dorothea Ilgen Shaffer, Class of 1933, Board of Trustees, and co-chair of Campaign for Syracuse

Notes:

The Shaffer Art Building was built to house the two-dimensional arts, including Advertising Design, Communication Design, Computer Graphics, Drawing and Painting, Fashion Illustration, Film the Freshman Foundation Program, Museum Studies, Photography, and Video. It was constructed with studio space for students and instructors, a 60-seat lecture hall, a 300-seat auditorium, and several combination lounge/gallery areas and faculty offices.