Syracuse University Buildings:


James A. Ten Eyck Memorial Boathouse

Ten Eyck Boathouse
Ten Eyck Boathouse, Image 4532

Dedicated: May 28, 1937
Dedication Speaker: Dr. Eddie Packard, Saranac Lake, member of first champion crew in 1904
Building Occupied: May 4, 1937
Renovated: 1987
Rededicated: April 30, 1988
Named for: James A. Ten Eyck, who coached SU rowing team from 1903 until his death in 1938
Funding for 1937 Construction: Class of 1903 funded dormitory furnishings for 60; class of 1937 donated kitchen equipment
Funding for 1987 Renovation: SU Athletics Department, Syracuse Alumni Rowing Association, and Onondaga County
Materials: Reinforced concrete with brick facing and limestone trim
Location: Longbranch Park on Onondaga Lake
Space: First floor includes a four-bay boathouse to store equipment and shells, a small boat bay and coaches' offices; an observation deck and indoor lounge overlooking the course finish line are on the second floor, along with lockers, showers and dormitories; dormitories double as a large meeting room.

Notes:

The boathouse built in 1937 replaced a "ramshackle" wooden structure built in 1911 and demolished in 1938. The 1987 renovation modernized and enlarged this structure. On December 1, 1998 a crew storage building, just built in 1997, burned along with 19 shells.


For more information on SU Athletic facilities: http://www.suathletics.com/facilities/facilities.aspx?tab=facilities2