Syracuse University Buildings:


University Bookstore

University Bookstore
University Bookstore, Image 11-0426

Constructed: Prior to 1898 as a private residence
Acquired by SU: 1912
Materials: Wood frame with steel and masonry addition
Location: 303 University Place
Space: Two-story Queen Anne Victorian
Demolished: ca. 1975

Notes:

In 1912, Chancellor Day opened the first University-owned bookstore in order to offer a tobacco and smoke-free alternative to a book and supplies store run by local merchants. In 1975, the University's bookstore moved into Lowe Art Center next door and the old wood-frame building was no longer needed.

Another bookstore, the Student Supply Store, stood at the corner of University Place and South Crouse Avenue. While it served SU students from approximately 1908 to 1964, it was not owned by Syracuse University. Its building, however, was acquired by SU and demolished in 1974.