Syracuse University Buildings:


Watson Hall

Watson Hall
Watson Hall , SU Photo & Imaging RS 8727

Construction Began: November 1952
Dedicated: November 14, 1954
Building Occupied: September 1954
Named for: Thomas J. Watson, Sr., President of IBM 1914-1949 when land donated to SU for Triple Cities College, SU Trustee
Cost: $2,893,000 (included construction of Marion Hall)
Funding: U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency loan
Architects: Lorimer Rich and Associates; King and King
Contractors: Edmund J. Rappoli Company
Landscaping: Noredo Rotunno
Materials: Reinforced concrete with brick facing and limestone trim
Location: 405 University Place
Space: Four stories with spaces for 448 residents
Renovation and Addition: 1989
Cost for Renovation and Addition: $2,987,938
Architects for Renovation and Addition: Bohlin Powell Larkin & Cywinski, Wilkes-Barre, PA
Contractor for Renovation and Addition: JD Taylor Construction, Syracuse
Additional Renovation: 1999 see Menschel Media Center

Notes:

In June 1952 Syracuse University signed a loan agreement with the U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency to borrow $2.75 million for construction of a unit containing two dormitories and a dining hall. In August 1989 students moved into the newly-renovated residence hall which included a 103-bed addition. A 1999 renovation created the Menschel Media Center.