Syracuse University Buildings:


Winchell Hall, Dormitory for Women

Winchell Hall, Dormitory for Women
Winchell Hall Dormitory for Women, Image 13-0408

Property Purchased: 1896
Construction Completed: June 1900
Building Occupied: Fall 1900
Demolished: February 1984
Named for: Alexander Winchell, first Chancellor of University, 1872-1874; and Professor of Geology, Zoology and Botany, 1873-1878
Cost: Approximately $30,000 including furnishings
Funding: from sale of "Western Lands" owned by SU
Architect: E. H. Gaggin, Syracuse University School of Architecture
Materials: Red brick and Indiana Limestone
Style: Modified Renaissance
Location: 301 University Place - northeast corner of University Avenue and University Place
Space: 4 stories, accommodated 55 people

Notes:

The first dormitory to be constructed on campus. Winchell Hall and Haven Hall were placed on the north side of University Place, bookending the University Avenue axis leading down the hill from the Hall of Languages. This marked the first time that campus buildings formally crossed University Place. In 1918, due to the First World War, Winchell was used as barracks for the Students' Army Training Corps. While in the process of being demolished to make room for the building of Schine Student Center, a fire, possibly arson, swept through Winchell in early February 1984 and hastened the venerable structure's end.