Syracuse University Buildings:


Walnut Park Gate

Walnut Park Gate
Walnut Park Gate

Cost: $800
Funding: Gift of Class of 1917
Design Approved: Professors Lear, Cox and Hawley
Materials: Limestone and brick
Style: Beaux Arts
Location: University Place, flanking drive leading to Machinery Hall

Notes:

The main 12-foot high pylons, topped by globular lights, were situated at the original Walnut Park entrance to campus. The construction of Bird Library cut off the Gate's connection to Walnut Avenue. The Gate, or entranceway, was the first step toward that the idea that the entire university should become walled in like the universities of England. No such wall was ever built.