The Boar's Head Dramatic Society of Syracuse University was initiated by a small group of students in the spring of 1903. This group recognized the need for an on-campus organization that was solely committed to all aspects of dramatic production. Their plans did not get underway, however, until 1904 when -- still affiliated with the English Club -- they presented "King Lear" in Syracuse, Rochester and Auburn, under the direction of Professor Frederick D. Losey.
On February 9th, 1906, "Boar's Head" was adopted as the official name of the newly founded organization. This name was chosen in honor of the Boar's Head Tavern in Eastcheap, London, 'favorite resort of Falstaff, Prince Hal and their companions' in Shakespeare's Henry IV.
On May 15th, 1906 the first annual Boar's Head banquet was held. Among a number of toasts, Herbert A. Robinson '07 gave one that was officially titled The History and Mystery of The Boar's Head -- "What's done cannot be undone."
Over the years Boar's Head had a number of faculty coaches. These included:
Over 200 playbills and hundreds of photographs, articles and other memorabilia remain in the University Archives, a lasting tribute to an organization that Herbert Robinson stated "…cannot be undone!"