“The Chancellors: A History of Leadership at Syracuse University”
Melvin A. Eggers
- Hired as economics professor in 1950
- Chairman of Economics, 1960
- Named Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost in 1970
- Chosen by Trustees to become Chancellor and President in 1971
- During his tenure $200 million in construction completed or begun
- Student enrollment and number of faculty reached all-time high
- University gained reputation as research institution
- Athletics saw dawning of a new era with construction of Carrier Dome
An Era Marked by Growth...
During Eggers' administration old Archbold stadium was demolished
and replaced by the new Carrier Dome.
An Era Marked by Tragedy...
Eggers visited Lockerbie, Scotland, site of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 which killed
35 SU students enrolled in the study abroad program.